HOPE FOR MEN


Pissed Jeans is a 1/2 joke. In the middle of a melodyless genre where poeticism is out the window and lyrics are canned and grunted political rants (hardcore), they present "I've Still Got You (Ice Cream)".


Look up the wounded words and find the following:

I've still got you, ice cream
'Cause sometimes life is less than a dream
And all my other friends turn away
I need to be with something I can relate
Just a taste and all my troubles fall behind
Sweet bowl of sugar is there to ease my mind
I shouldn't need it
But sometimes I want it
I gotta have it
With cream on it
I've still got you ice cream
Belly getting bigger or so it would seem
Hand feels empty when it's not holding a spoon
Dessert for me can never come too soon
I shouldn't need it
Sometimes I want it
I gotta have it
With cookies on it
I've still got you ice cream
Cause sometimes my life is less than a dream
Just a taste and all my troubles fall behind
Sweet bowl of sugar, ease my mind
I've still got you
I've still got you
I've still got you
I've still got you, chocolate

Their front man commented about wanting to be the musical equivalent of "staring at your zits in the mirror for an hour straight while crying stone sober." There is something intriguing about this kind of cool. It is gag pathetic and self aware, perfectly tongue in cheek, a technique employed by smarter than thou male intellectuals like Duchamp and Kippenberger and Smith. The gesture in question of presenting some creatively refined gift to the world almost makes one want to do the opposite: either nothing, audaciously little, something conceptually elusive, obnoxious, or something like what the artist would be doing anyway.
DUCHAMP:
KIPPENBERGER:
SMITH:

And it is wedged nicely into a sect that prides itself on its seriousness, attention to causes and branding, emphasis on politics, etc. Ripe for parody and ripe for a more impotent anti-contender.
It shows at their shows. They blend in with most of the hardcore mainstays, nobody minds the schmaltz as long as the crowd responds by flailing around and punching each other. A worthy cause and a nice little comment and suddenly not a joke at all.

Find Hope for Men and / or King of Jeans and definitely look at these extremely not tough photos. I personally like to listen to music such as this w/ headphones in public real loud and with plucky expression on face.

No comments:

Post a Comment