paternal ego: Children of the 90's



"Only one of my favorite pictures ever. Also, I will have really good stories to tell my grandchildren, when I live in a house like Grey Gardens and my hair is about the same color", reads the caption on 13 year old Tavi Gevinson's critical fashion-diary blog, titled, Style Rookie.

There are no convictions concerning this young adolescents intuition and ingenuity. In fact, what exits within the hype surrounding Tavi is an instigative activity of nostalgia and self reflexivity. Tavi reminds readers of their own soluble youth and successfully pins it against a contemporary progressive (re)revolution. Some may consider her ahead of her times, but Tavi stands for a generation self aware of the ambitious times. As Ryan Trecartin said in an interview with the New York Times, “People born in the ’90s are amazing,” he said excitedly. “I can’t wait until they all start to make art.”

read more from Tavi on her blog: http://tavi-thenewgirlintown.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment